Vibram plays between performance and fashion: 40 million soles

40 milioni di suole per Vibram, tra performance e moda

Moving from rock faces to fashion catwalks. Vibram showed up at Lineapelle (the fair took place at Fieramilano Rho, on 19-21 February 2020) and presented its most glamorous side. In doing so, they reinforced their role, which is getting more and more remarkable, in the lifestyle segment. They proudly outlined their manufacturing volumes: 40 million soles a year.

Vibram and fashion

While visiting Vibram stand at Lineapelle, buyers could see, on display on one of the walls, all of the models created through a few partnerships with several “cross” brands. In example given: Alyx, Atlantic Stars, Casadei, Woolrich, New Balance, Henderson, DIS and Japanese Suicoke. These products are currently for sale. A number of new developing models will soon come up as well. The brand also exhibited, on another wall, their “open” soles, taken from Spring-Summer 2021 collection. They want to target the world of fashion. They assembled soles on sneakers, intentionally made by Vibram to show various types of application. Ultimately, they presented the Sole System. In other words, a new modular system, based on the combination of midsole and sole. Customers may use it both in a multisport context and in the lifestyle one.

Vibram make 40 million soles

Vibram can manufacture up to 40 million soles a year. At present, their Dress & Casual unit accounts for 10 to 12% of the overall turnover. In fact, the outdoor segment is the most important one. Yet, as pointed out by the company’s managers during Lineapelle, “the world of fashion speeded up considerably in the last few years”. In other words, the company, headquartered in Albizzate (in the province of Varese), is gearing up to start a new business phase. Actually, they have already done it. “Although we were already engaged in this segment, we ended up playing a prominent role after a few recent partnerships – they continued at the stand –. The so-called Athleisure drove us there finally”.


Numbers and markets

In the last 5 years, Vibram overall revenues have been increasing consistently. In 2018, they reached 190 million euros, 17 more compared to the previous year. The United States and Europe account, together, for 90% of the company’s turnover. Asia (Japan, South Korea and, to a smaller extent, China) accounts for remaining 10%. The company currently runs a plant in China, namely the “Vibram China Tech Centre”, situated in the core of Guangzhou footwear district: here Vibram mostly focus their research and development activity.

Pictures taken from


Choose one of our subscription plans

Do you want to receive our newsletter?
Subscribe now