SOS generational change at Pitti (in photo on the left): everybody has to deal with it, regardless of the segment and geographic location within Italy. Even more: it’s a European problem that all entities are trying to fix with initiatives that, unfortunately, won’t give results until 2 or 3 years from now”. “Entrepreneurs such as ourselves must give dignity to the work. A job that we must know and be able to do”, says Caterina Leombruni of Lemargo. Gianni Giannini of Doucal’s, on the other hand, believes that regions or “the government”, should elaborate new methods to attract young workers in the companies.
SOS generational change
“95% of our production is done in Italy. The remaining 5% is in Spain and Portugal, where we see situations that are much different from ours: more dynamic, with more young people. Yes, generational change is an issue”, confirms Christian Prazzoli, CEO of Baldinini. Piquadro’s Marco Palmieri and Massimo Girardin, manager of leather apparel with GMS 75, both agree with Prazzoli. “Leather cutters (by hand) is the know-how that risks extinction the most” (photo on the right), says Girardin.
What’s happening in the Marche region
Luxury brands such as LVMH and Fendi, along with others, are making investments in the Marche region. “We need to involve large luxury brands that use the local workforce and create an unbalanced and unfair condition when it comes to know-how”, says Gianni Giannini of Doucal’s. Mr. Giannini also believes that companies shouldn’t face the issue individually, through their own academies. “I would like there to be some action from the government with initiatives able to stimulate both companies and young people”. Caterina Leombruni of Lemargo, always in Montegranaro, states that she has found some young people to work in the roles. “We must be able to stimulate them. Entrepreneurs, such as ourselves, must give dignity to the work. A job that we must know and be able to do”.
Lack of connection
Lastly, there seem to be a lack of connection between companies and young workers. A link that isn’t communicated and shared with the entities that should be involved. For example: schools, universities, and the public service. Giving social value to these types of work should also be a priority, because training competent young workers in fashion jobs would lead to even more foreign brand moving their production in Italy.